The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Staying Busy

As I've noted before, I am not actively employed at the moment, so finding positive things to do is important.  I have been involved in job-searches; however, with the upcoming trip, it's a little difficult to become a desirable job candidate for positions needing to be filled immediately.

I've not been blogging as  much lately as I have found some work that doesn't care if I am leaving the country in a couple of weeks.  I was hired to edit and proofread an e-book for a woman from Wyoming.  She has authored a book on barrel racing.  Now you might say, "Scott, what do you know about barrel racing?"  The answer would be, "not much!"  That said, I do have knowledge of horses in general.  Shortly after leaving the military, I found a job as stable manager for a residential treatment facility near Pittsburgh.  I was responsible for 18 horses, some goats, a sheep, rabbits and chickens . . . what a whoot!  Being a "quick study", I soon found myself  giving rudimentary riding instruction to the children at the "facility".  It was a rewarding experience in many ways.

So, with my meager but credible background in horsemanship, and my writing and editing skills, I convinced the young lady to hire me to work on her book -- some 142 pages.  She's not a bad writer.  Her grammar is decent, although she, like me, uses "however" far too often.  I'm about half done at this point, and thought I should take a few moments to scratch out a blog article.

What does this have to do with the Philippines?  Nothing really.  It does, however, provide a little more income and the idea that maybe writing and editing may well be the work I need in order to pursue my goals for working with the school children of Bohol.  Time will tell.

1 comment: