The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Some Things Different

One of the problems with living in the United States is that most people live a very comfortable life . . . myself included.  The problem is that when things start to get uncomfortable, people begin to whine and fuss and threaten to sue someone . . . anyone . . . because it just isn't fair.  Waaaaah!  As I said yesterday, I really can't write with any authority about life in the Philippines, but for most people there, it's much more austere then life in the US.  I was viewing some videos on YouTube about the recent flood in Mindanao - most of the victims of the flooding lived in shanty villages along the rivers.  These people didn't have anything to begin with . . . and then after the flood, what little they had was totally washed away, along with neighbors and loved ones.

Yes, life there will be difficult, as I will need to live without some of the creature comforts I am used to.  Some things will be difficult just because they are different.  Remembering to drink only bottled water will be the first.  Even when brushing my teeth, using bottled water will be a "must"!  I will also need to be mindful in the shower to not swallow any water.  Even many of the people who have lived there all of their lives avoid drinking the local water  . . . just too many bacteria that can play havoc on one's digestive system.

Another different item is toilet paper . . . most likely, there won't be any.  It's not that the Filipinos aren't "clean", but that the plumbing infrastructure just doesn't handle the paper well.  Use too much and you can create a real disaster for yourself and your neighbors.  Also, the Filipinos think that using just toilet paper is disgusting.    So, what do you do without your favorite Charmin or AngelSoft?  It's simple . . . you use a "tabo"!  A "tabo" is essentially a small dipper.  When you go into the bathroom, you will find a large bucket, called a "timba", with a tabo floating in it.  You use the tabo to run some water down your backside and wash away any debris, much like a manual bidet.  You then use more water from the timba to flush the toilet.  Sound gross?  If you're planning on spending any time in the Philippines, it's just something to get used to!  I'll let you know how I do with that . . . I wonder if my wife will allow me to keep a timba and tabo in the master bath?

No comments:

Post a Comment