The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Choosing Between "Complexities"

I've spent the last several weeks reading the blogs and journals of Americans who are living in the Philippines.  Most of them are written by expats, people who have decided to relocate and live among the Filipinos on one of the over 7,000 islands that comprises the Philippines archipelago.  Some have also created YouTube videos about life in the Philippines -- I find these to be the most interesting, as I get the chance to see and hear what they are talking about: the food, customs, locations, celebrations and so on.  I can tell you this much . . . the rooster is a central figure in Filipino life -- in each video I can hear one "crowing" in the background.

The variety of lifestyles is interesting.  Some have chosen to live in gated communities with uniformed guards.  The houses are a little smaller, but look very similar to life in an American condo community.  Then there is the other extreme . . . those who have chosen to live in about as primitive a life style imaginable.  Nipa hut-style houses, with bamboo floors and woven nipa leaf walls, and corrugated metal roof -- perhaps a light bulb or two just for creature comfort.  And then there are those in between, living in concrete block buildings with finished interior walls, indoor plumbing, electricity in every room, and perhaps a decorative wall around the property for the appearance of security.

I'm not sure which of these I would be comfortable with -- there's a part of me that says to go for the austere, minimalist home . . . could I really live like that?  How easy is it to give up our complicated life style for one of simplicity and frugality?  I recently spent a few days at  my daughter's house while she and her family were out of town.  The house is heated primarily by a wood stove in the living room.  They do have electric space heaters, but use them sparingly.  Making and maintaining a fire requires a little more effort then most of us are accustomed to spending.  Fortunately, the wood has already been cut to length and split; however, you still need to shovel the ashes out and dispose of them safely, go to the wood pile, gather some kindling, build the fire, watch it until it gets going well, and then add more wood as needed, poking and pushing the pieces into place.  Ahh, simplicity!  I guess what I'm trying to imply is that the simple life has its own complexities.  You are essentially substituting one set of "complexities" for another.  In my home here in Albuquerque, I simply adjust the thermostat and make sure I've paid the utilities bill.  However, in order to pay the utility bill, I need to have some sort of income, requiring a job, appropriate clothing for the job, transportation, education, and 40 hours or more commitment each week.  So deciding which one is best is a matter of choosing one set of "complexities" over another.  I'm still leaning toward the nipa hut!  I'm not sure that my wife would concur!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment