The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Going Back to School

I'm going back to school!  Well . . . sorta.  I've been invited to visit a school in Panaytayon, Bohol.  One of the fourth grade teachers there happens to attend Brother Jul's church, and she wants me to spend an afternoon in her classroom.  I'd have the opportunity to work directly with the students on science, math and English.  So, assuming that it won't interfere with the construction project, I have agreed to the request!

This will be a real benefit for me, as I will get to talk with several students and find out what their needs are, and also their opinion of school. I will also get to see what the teachers face each day -- what supplies they have compared to what supplies they need.  I already know that the classroom size is 30 students, which is actually rather typical even here in the states.

This will, hopefully, be of benefit to the teacher also, as she will have the chance to work with a teacher from a different culture.  It will be interesting to share ideas with her and to compare "notes" and "techniques" for classroom management and instructional methodology (sounds like a teacher talking!).

Also of importance will be my chance to work directly with the students.  I will have the opportunity to share learning experiences, but also to share our cultures.  I hope I can be a positive influence on these children, encouraging them to work hard in school and to "love" learning.

I know my blogs are getting shorter . . . the reality is, I'm running out of things to say.   Until I get to the Philippines and begin meeting with the people and experiencing the way of life, I will continue to struggle for topic ideas and content.  It's only two weeks until I go . . . maybe I will get some inspirations or epiphanies that will provide some meat for writing until I arrive there.
Pag-ayo-ayo!

2 comments:

  1. Scott, i lived on Guam from 78 to 80. I got chance to live amongst common villagers in a boonie hut for 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we were on Guam at the same time - I was there from 78 to 79 at Anderson. I figure the Philippines will be about the same as Guam as far as weather. I think the Guam was much more "Americanized" then the Philippines will be. Will let you know when I come back!

      Delete