The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some Thoughts on School

I spent several years as an educator.  It was some of the most rewarding work I've ever done.  It was also some of the most frustrating.  You come across both extremes, those students and parents who embrace education and those who fight it with every ounce of energy. I think part of the reason I took a break from the public school classroom was that I was experiencing far too much of the latter.  I love to teach, but when your students have no interest in learning and their parents refuse to assume any responsibility for their child's education and behavior  . . . well, it gets to be just a little much.

One of my activities in the Philippines will be meeting with some students who are desperately trying to finish their education.  They recognize the inherent benefit of education and the positive impact that it has on reducing poverty.  The issues these kids face are many.  Many of them don't have the resources required to attend public education.  While the actual classes are free, having the necessary supplies, uniforms and such, fall directly on the shoulders of the students and their families; however, if you happen to be one of those families living in a squatter settlement, those items take a distant second place to having food on the table. 

Filipino teacher with her 59 students
The teachers are not in the best situation either.  While schools are funded by the government, the monies available are woefully less than what is needed.  Teaching supplies usually are left up to the teachers to take out of their own wages.  Although I spent a lot of my own money when I was a teacher, it was my choice -- I could have survived on what the school provided.  But for these teachers, the supplies just don't exist.  This leaves many of the teachers with little choice but to try to get money from the students -- from those whose families happen to be in slightly better financial circumstances.  After a while, though, it gets to be a financial strain on these students as well -- and even some of these students are feeling forced to leave school as they can't meet the pressure from teachers who are demanding monies for the classroom.

While I won't be able to do much to help on this trip, my hope is to gather enough information and documentation to address the issue upon my return to the US.  I don't know how this will all pan out, but I'm hoping I might be able gather some support to work with students and their families. I will visit with a Christian school while I am there . . . perhaps I will find some answers to these problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment