The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lunch Anyone?

I had a great time at the Nepali gospel service this past Saturday here in Albuquerque.  It gave me  an appreciation of yet another culture.  Also, I ate goat for the first time . . . really, it wasn't too bad.

Speaking of lunch . . . I will spend one full weekend in the Philippines, "sandwiched" in between two very full weeks.  My Saturday will be spent traveling from Sierra Bullones to Tubigon.  Somewhere towards the end of the trip to Tubigon, I will have a chance to meet with a group of children that Brother Jul has been working with each week for quite some time now.  I will get to tell a Bible story and watch as Jul and his wife lead them in singing some songs.  I've also been asked to provide lunch.  Now I have absolutely no problem with doing that.  We are, however, talking about 75 to 100 kids, plus several parents!  Here's the important part . . . these aren't just kids from the local neighborhood -- these kids are from the squatter community along the coastal area of northern Bohol near Tubigon.  I don't have an actual photograph of that particular community, although I do hope to have a few pics by the time that weekend is over.  But the photo below is rather representative of the type of situation these kids are coming from.

Considering how many people we're talking about feeding, $150 doesn't seem bad.  And given that this may well be the best meal these kids will have had all week . . . well the price just doesn't seem to matter.  The only problem I'm having is that my budget for this trip is "maxed out" . . . so I might ask for some assistance on this one.  I need to get a check in the mail to Bro. Jul this week so that it arrives in time.  The ladies from the church will take care of all of the preparation.

I'm looking forward to working with the kids . . . although I'm a little apprehensive about the whole situation . . . it is definitely way outside of my "comfort zone"!  But that's the reason I'm going . . . because I've been too comfortable where I'm at.  It's time to shake loose from the routine that I'm in and start putting everything into perspective.

Oh . . . and I will probably face a similar situation in Mabini . . . sounds like its another community with a sizeable squatter population.  Just be praying for these people, and for me as I prepare to dive into this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment