The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Some Thoughts on Giving

I was asked to assist with gathering the offering this past Sunday.  Nothing unusual about that.  As I was passing the offering plate down each pew, I thought about my own recent request for financial assistance from the church.  If you've read some of my earlier articles, you'll know I mentioned that I was going to need some help with providing food for between 75 and 100 needy Filipino children, along with many of their parents.  As I'm not employed at the moment, my own financial situation is difficult.  I'm not destitute by any mean, but eventually I will need to have some income or things will be more of a concern.  Anyway . . .  I spoke with the pastor after church and he assured me that my request was being met.  That was quite a relief.  Then he asked if I had any other needs.  I was a little surprised . . . I guess I shouldn't have been . . . the leaders of the church are truly caring and thoughtful people.  I admit that there were tears hiding (maybe not hiding too well) behind my eyes . . . I'm the one going to help people, not the one needing help.  At least, that's how I try to look at it.

Giving is important.  It's the way we help those who have needs that they are unable to meet themselves.  I've put myself in an interesting situation, as I've asked for help so that I can help others.  But as I think about it, that's how most missionaries work things.  They request financial support from others so that they can help the needy or the unreached.  I've never been one to ask for help, especially financial help.  I'm sure it's a pride issue . . . I should be able to take care of myself.  I guess that if I'm ever going to truly get into the missionary "business", I need to learn how to ask for help.

My interest is in helping school children complete their education.  In many of the communities in the Philippines, there are several children who are unable to attend school because of a lack of money.  I know that I can't help every child in the Philippines . . .  there are millions.  I can, however, help those whom I will have contact with during my visit.  I can also reach those children who attend the churches of our fellowship.  I don't know how many children there are, but I do know there are 28 churches on the island of Bohol alone.  If there were 50 children at each church (not unrealistic number), that is a total of 1400 children.  I know that the Christian school I will be visiting has at least 100 students.  Therefore, the actual number of students in need may be significantly higher.

Another consideration is the distance between these churches and their distance from the major cities of Tagbilaron and Tubigon.  I've seen enough video of the rural roads in the Philippines to know that a five mile drive can take more than an hour . . . you could almost walk it faster.  So even if I can get supplies for all the children at a particular church, getting those supplies to the children may also be a challenge.

The more I learn about the situation in Bohol, the more sincere I become about trying to find a way to  meet the needs of the school children there.  That will require asking for money, both for the students and for myself.  I'm not sure how to do all of that . . . I think upon my return from the Philippines I will be having several meetings with the church elders and pastors.  Keep the children who are in need in your prayers . . . and I guess, keep me in prayer also.  Salamat.

No comments:

Post a Comment