The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Some Things to Pray About

The message this past Sunday was the introduction to a series on prayer.  Brother Ed from World Mission Builders has frequently reminded everyone going to the Philippines this February to stay "prayed-up".  So responding to the "hint", I thought it appropriate that I comment on a few things that need to be kept in prayer.



First on the list is prayer for travel safety.  One-way travel to the project site is about 9,400 miles, including air travel, boat, and various road vehicles.

Second is work safety.  It's been a few years since I worked in an industrial setting, but I sure do realize that those sort of work settings are filled with opportunities for accident and injury . . . both need to be avoided.

Third is general health.  We'll be eating foreign food, drinking foreign water, living with foreign "critters" and so on . . . any one of those could be the source of illness.  I would expect a little "discomfort" no matter what precautions one takes, but I would really like to avoid getting truly sick.

Certainly there is a need for prayers for our interaction with other people.  We're going there as workers, true . . . but also as representatives of World Mission Builders, our individual churches, our families, our country, and most importantly, our Lord and Savior . . . best that we be constantly mindful of our words and deeds.  No matter how innocent, the wrong word or action could leave a negative impression.  I've been told that life in the Philippines sometimes appears similar to life in the US, but that in reality, it's only some of the outer vestiges that resemble America . . . the culture is still significantly different.

Prayers for our families and loved ones back in the "States" . . . we need to know that they are safe and well taken care of in our absence.

I will be in a few other places that the work crew will not.  So prayers for the people I meet in Mabini, Ubay, Tubigon, and Sierra Bullones.  My purpose in each of these places is slightly different, so I need prayers to keep reminded of which "hat" I am wearing.  In general, anything outside of the work site will be focused on schools, children, parents, teachers and so on; admittedly, I am not certain what I will find when I go to these places . . . so I need to remain open and flexible in my thoughts and feelings.

Although I have most things taken care of in preparation to go to the Philippines, it wouldn't hurt to have some prayers for these last few weeks leading up to departure.  It's amazing how obvious things can be easily overlooked while focusing on the insignificant.  Passport, travel bag, tools, Bible, camera . . . you get the picture.

Upon my return, I really need some prayers to help me figure out what to do next.  Is this just a one time experience, or will I find a calling to return to the Philippines.  I know already that I have a feeling for the latter, but I realize I need to be patient and wait until I have some real experiences to base any decisions on.  I will need some sort of income when I get home.  A job would be good . . . starting a family business is realistic . . . starting a mission organization working with the Philippines churches and schools would be awesome (patience, Scott, patience) . . .

Now there are people out there who are prayer warriors . . . I hope some of them find this and put me on their "list".  Those are the people who are perceptive enough to pray for things I've failed to list.  They can read between the lines, they find things that I've totally missed . . . those are the people I really need  . . . to watch my back as I go adventuring across the oceans.  Thank you  in advance.  Salamat!

No comments:

Post a Comment