The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Friday, January 20, 2012

A Few Notes on Language

I was reading the blog of an American expat living in the Philippines, and he mentioned the value of learning the local language . . . especially for those who have decided to live in the Philippines.  Well, I'm only spending a couple of weeks there, but I still feel that it would be a worthwhile expenditure of my time to learn a few words and phrases.  Why?  I think the benefit of a few hours each week learning some Cebuano will be beneficial in establishing a positive relationship with the people I meet in the Philippines.

I had an experience when I was teaching at a local high school that might help explain my thoughts here.  After coming back from one very snowy Christmas break, I found that the biology class that I was co-teaching had a couple of new students added to the roll.  The general ed. teacher was a little concerned, as neither of the students (brother and sister) spoke any English at all.  Since there were two of us teaching the class, I suggested that she continue as the primary teacher, doing the lectures and so on, and that I would do what I could to work with the new students.  Now I spoke as much Vietnamese as those two spoke English, so the challenge to bridge the language gap was afoot!  It didn't help that this was a science class, with it's own technical jargon and difficult vocabulary.  Fortunately, both of these students were hard workers.

I wanted to convey to these two students that I was truly interested in working with them and helping them to be successful.  I purchased level 1 of Rosetta Stone's Vietnamese language program and proceeded to learn a little "tieng Viet" (Vietnamese).  I invited the students to spend an hour with me after school each day -- sort of an impromptu ESL class.  I helped them with their English, and they helped me with Vietnamese.

The real benefit came when I met their father for the first time.  Like his children, he couldn't speak English, and even after being in the States for a while he still hadn't picked up any.  However, I had learned just enough Vietnamese that I was able to exchange "pleasantries" with the father.  Our conversation was short, but each time I saw him we would go through our little routine of  "Hello, how are you, I'm fine, and so on".  To this day when I see their father he stops what he is doing (he cooks for a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant here in town) and comes to greet me.  I have a friend for life.  Even though we really can't communicate much, our relationship is cemented because I made a little effort to learn his language.  Oh . . . both brother and sister graduated in the top 5 percent of their class and are attending the University of New Mexico.

When I arrive in the Philippines, I think being able to say "maayong buntag" (good morning), "kumusta ka man" (how are you),  and "ako si Scott" (my name is Scott), may well be enough to make a difference in how well I relate to the people of Bohol.  Hopefully I will have learned more than that before I depart three weeks from now.

So, until the next time, Pag-ayo-ayo!  Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment