The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Getting Packed

I am not one who packs early for trips.  I just don't see any reason to get all excited about it -- after all, if I've forgotten something I can just swing by WalMart and get what I  need, right?  Well this trip may be just a wee bit different. First of all, there aren't any WalMarts in the Philippines . . .yet.  If I forget something, I may need to do without -- that's a problem if it's something I truly need each day.  Shopping in general may be quite different -- and I really don 't know what type of stores will be available to me in Sierra Bullones. It's not that the location is isolated, but the larger cities will be unreachable for most of the trip.  So if I've forgotten something, I'm going to be out of luck!
I made a packing list last week -- other then glancing over it the other day, I haven't done anything else with it.  Starting today, however, I need to start gathering things together so that I can organize them and make certain that everything is in good condition and of the correct quantity.  Oh, and also need to keep an eye on the weight.  It's not such a big deal to pay a little extra for checked baggage for domestic flights, but traveling overseas may prove to be a different issue.  Also, I'm sure I will be responsible for carrying my own luggage . . . if it's too darn heavy, I will pay an additional fee . . . the one on my aching muscles and back!  

The weight issue is really the biggest challenge, as I'm taking some construction tools along with me.  None of them are necessarily heavy, but each piece adds to the total.  I have thought about bring some school supplies along with me, but any kind of paper products (books, notebook paper, spirals notebooks, etc) add weight very quickly.  Also, many of the typical school items that I might purchase here may actually be cheaper there in the Philippines, therefore making it not worth the hassle of packing.  At the moment I have the following groups to consider . . .  around 50 students at Brother Jul's church, 30 students at one of the local schools (the teacher is the member of Jul's church that I mentioned in a previous article), and around 100 kids at the Christian school at Ubay.  Also, I don't really yet know what the needs of the school children and their teachers are yet, so I probably will just try to gather some funds for those supplies and purchase them in Tubigon.

I don't know if I will actually start putting things in a suitcase just yet, but I do need to make sure that I've not forgotten about anything -- oh yes, I haven't bought that inflatable pillow yet . . . think I need to make a trip to REI this afternoon!

Until then . . . pag-ayo-ayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment