The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Doldrums

Part of the difficulty I have with writing about something that is yet to happen is that, really, nothing has happened yet.  Everything is in the planning stages.  I guess I could tell you about my daily workout at the gym in preparation to go to the Philippines . . . usually about 5 minutes of warm-up on the treadmill, followed by a 45 minute cardio on the treadmill, followed by a 5 minute cool-down on the treadmill . . .ok, that was really interesting, huh?  Yes, I need to loose a few pounds, lower the blood pressure, and increase my stamina . . but nothing blog-worthy.  I could tell you about my efforts to learn Cebuano . . . Maayong buntag.  (Good morning.)  Kumusta ka man. (How are you?)  Maayo, ikaw?  (Good, and you?) Ako si Scott. (I am Scott)  Ako maestro sa special education. (I am a special education teacher).  Hmmm  . . . it could be interesting if you also were learning Cebuano . . . but most people aren't, so it's kinda pointless to go into detail about it.  I've purchased all of the tools I need to take with me.  A couple of brick trowels, nail apron, level, tape measure . . . and I got a new digital camera for Christmas (everyone in the family pitched in for that) . . . I will need to buy some appropriate clothes to wear whilst laying concrete block in the tropical jungle  . . .  lots of bug repellent. Geesh, trying to make all of that sound interesting is probably not gonna happen.  When I come back, talking about running out of bug repellent might be interesting . . . note to self: pack LOTS of bug repellent!  Nope . . . not much to talk about for the next six weeks, but I will try to come up with some interesting topics.  Be patient . . . I know that after I return, there will be a lot of stories to tell.

SO . . . come back tomorrow . . . perhaps I'll be out of the doldrums and ready to write some awesome articles about things that will be a challenge to me while in the Philippines (like, they don't use toilet paper . . . and, what is a "tabo"  (not taboo).  Curious? . . . see you tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment