The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Preparing for Flight

I am usually good about sitting on my butt.  Although when I was teaching full time I didn't sit on my butt as much as most people thought I did, I still got a lot of "seat time"!  I found another freelance job, this time writing descriptions for items in a catalog.  I tried sitting with my laptop in the living room, kicked back in the LazyBoy, but the distractions were enough that I really couldn't concentrate on my work.  That, and my wife just assumed that I was "playing" on the computer, so she had no problem with interrupting me and asking me to do something for her.

 I have a desk in the front bedroom - it's a really nice executive-style desk my daughter found at  one of our favorite second-hand "junk" stores.  So I moved in there with the instructions to my family that, when I'm at that desk, I am working and not to be interrupted.  And you know, that actually worked.  Other then an occasional interruption from someone running something on the printer or whatever, I actually got some work done!  Nice!  In fact, the only problem I have run into is that the desk chair is cheap . . . and after a few hours with my butt in the chair, I have to get up and stretch for a while.  In fact, last night, after my wife went to bed, I came back into the living room and worked from the comfort of my LazyBoy.

What in the world does that have to do with the Philippines?  Well truthfully,  nothing -- but as I contemplate the 14 hour flight from Dallas to Seoul, sandwiched in between a two, 2 hour flights and lots of layover time, plus the trip on the fast cat and the van ride up into the mountains, I'm thinking that the desk time here at home might be good preparation for all the "seat time" I'm going to get on my travels to and from the Philippines!  I still have about two more days of work to do on the catalog.  Hopefully that will be enough "break-in" time to get my backside ready to go.  If, after I return, I find that I will be spending much more time at the desk, I'm going to invest in a better chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment