The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Gesture Malfunction???

It doesn't sound like I missed much by not seeing yesterday's "big game".  I did see the highlights on the evening news.  I saw enough to know that I had made better use of my time and money by working on some freelance projects and my blog instead of watching the Super Bowl.  But I realize that my values may not mesh with the values of others.  I don't  think watching the Super Bowl will have any adverse affect on one's salvation.  But those half-time shows . . . really?

I try not to be too judgmental on Hollywood and the entertainment industry.  I do get a little annoyed, however, with some of the "oops's" that happen during live television.  A few years back there was the famous "wardrobe malfunction", and this year, I guess we should call it a "gesture malfunction".  I heard that the network had a broadcast delay that was supposed to help them avoid the public airing of any inappropriate images or language, but apparently it just wasn't quite enough time.

In spite of America's tarnished reputation with parts of the world, the world still looks at us with awe and admiration.  Much of the world's population wishes they had access to the affluence we have here in the States.  They watch everything we do.  And they judge us as well.  Does the entertainer who performs during the Super Bowl halftime show represent America?  They shouldn't, but they do . . . even if the entertain isn't an American.   When the world sees various "malfunctions" during major television broadcasts, they connect the two together: America and the "malfunction".  The networks "allow it", therefore we allow it.  Call it freedom of speech if you want, but those little  malfunctions represent not only the halftime entertainer, but also you and me.  I didn't "flip off" the world, but I become guilty through association.

So this blog is supposed to be about my trip to the Philippines, not some rant about the Super Bowl.  But I think it goes to show how the world sees us, and how I will be viewed when I am in a foreign country.  I am  not guilty of a making a lewd gesture in front of the world's media, but because I am an American and that the Super Bowl is symbolic of the culture of America, then my status within the world is diminished.  Now I don't make any claim to being perfect.  I've done some outright stupid things in the past.  But those were my own actions.  I shouldn't need to worry about what some entertainer does . . . someone I will never meet nor who even knows that I exist. Yet, it's something that affects me.

If I can take any lesson from this, it's that while I am in the Philippines, I represent the rest of America.  No, I won't be on public television, but I will be in full view of the people who live there in the communities I will be working in.  And to them, I AM AMERICA!  Everything . . . and I must emphasis EVERYTHING . . .I do will reflect directly on all Americans.  The way I dress, the way I talk, the way I walk, the things I do, all will be scrutinized.  Add to that the responsibility of representing Christians throughout the world.  I hold that as an even greater issue.  Because of the reputation and stereotypes that Americans have throughout the world, if  I make some error in behavior, it will likely just be chalked-up to being an American.  But the reputation of Christians around the world doesn't need to be tarnished by some foolish "gesture malfunction".  The damage there is much greater.  It can have an adverse affect on someones's salvation.

Bottom line: I will need to be constantly on guard for my own behaviors, my own verbal and non-verbal messages that I send out to those around me.  Even when I think no one is watching, I must be mindful of what I am doing and how it will be interpreted by those who might see it.  No matter how innocent my actions, if they are perceived as somehow inappropriate, then I will have put a smudge on my reputation and on those whom I represent.  It's a tough assignment, with no room for a "malfunction".

No comments:

Post a Comment