The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Filipino Lumber Mill

This is something you don't see every day in America.  I had run across a video about how Filipinos use a chainsaw to make their own boards, but I didn't think I would ever see it in person.  We needed some planks for on the scaffolding around the building.  Rather then buying some (which would cost a fortune here), we hired a man to come in and cut some palm tree logs into boards.  The trees had been located where the church building now stands, so they were already available for us to use. 

So this guy comes in with a lumberjack-sized chain saw (longer then the man was tall).  We raised a log up onto some supports, and the man got to work.  First he trimmed off the bark on two opposite sides.  We then rolled the log over ninety degrees and he again cut the bark off the remaining two sides.  From there, he proceeded to cut out our planks  . . . with amazing accuracy.  He said he has been doing this for over 15 years.  I believe him.  

I don't think I will go out and buy a giant chain saw when I get home, but I admit that I am intrigued by the idea.  I'd probably cut my foot off anyway. Better to leave it to the professionals.  And yes, he is just wearing flip-flops (they call them "slippers" over here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment