The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Friday, February 17, 2012

An Afternoon In The Classroom

I had the honor of spending Friday afternoon in a 4th grade classroom at an elementary school in Panaytayon.  Maribel, the teacher for the class, is a member of Bro. Jul’s church there in Tubigon.  She and her students were very happy to have me in their class – it is not very often that they have the opportunity for the children to meet foreigners, let alone foreign school teachers. 
Scott and 4th Grade Students (Maribel is to the right)

My lessons included teaching about the solar system and the relationship between Earth, sun and moon, how to determine the perimeter of polygons, and arranging words alphabetically.  I think it was a review for most of the children, as they seemed to understand most if it already.  But we all had fun and I think Maribel was pleased with the end results.

I spent a few hours in the evening meeting with 15 of the youth of Bro. Jul’s church.  Much like the elementary students, the teens have little opportunity to interact with Americans.  We shared a little about our lives . . . many of the teens have only one parent, and that parent really struggles with providing for her family. 

One of the main concerns the teens have is with getting through the remaining month of school.  Their school year is over at the end of March, but most of them do not have enough supplies to get through until the end.  So as I mentioned yesterday, I will visit a store this morning to purchase enough supplies to get them through the school year.
Children Watching the Construction

When I was in Sierra Bullones on Wednesday, I spoke with a young boy whose mother was helping prepare food for the church construction workers.  I asked why he wasn’t at school.  With a rather sheepish look on his face he told me that he was skipping school during to help with the construction of the church.  I asked if his teacher would be upset, to which he replied, “Yes, but it doesn’t matter . . . I won’t be going to school next year anyway.”  I confirmed this with his mother.  Raymond, who is 14 and would be a first year high school student in June, will not be attending school simply because the parents haven’t enough money to send him to school, as he still has several younger siblings who need to get some education. 
Nipa House Near Sierra Bullones Church

Raymond’s situation appears to be quite common among children here on Bohol, and also throughout the Philippines.  I’ve spoken to Raymond’s pastor and told him that I would find funding for Raymond to finish school.  There are many logistical things to work out, but much like Bro. Jul’s youth, I think the answer is to provide some supplies to all of the children who attend the church, rather than just one.  That way all of the children benefit, and potential friction between families is prevented.  While on the surface it seems simple, the dynamics and cultural norms of the Filipino community present some challenges when talking about family finances. 

Raymond

No comments:

Post a Comment