The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Focus On Your Passion

A few days ago I mentioned that I had been reading more of Jon Acuff's book, Quitter.  About half-way into the book, Jon talks about Dave Ramsey's experience with his EntreLeadership training sessions.  According to Jon, Ramsey had developed a course for his employees, aimed at helping them become better workers.  Over time, he noticed that many of the people attending his course included friends and family members of his employees.  It didn't take Dave long to realize that his course had a wider appeal and application than just those who worked for him at Lampo.  He hadn't planned on developing a marketable program.  It just happened.  It happened because he had a passion for teaching people to be successful.  He took that passion and then applied it to his organization; he "practiced" it.  It wasn't until he saw that he had a viable product that he created a plan to market it to the general public.

When I started preparing for the Philippines, I really didn't have a plan.  Actually, I hadn't even planned on going to the Philippines  . . . I was just going to go "somewhere".  Where ever the Lord led, I was going to go.  After doing some research, I found the Philippines to be an interesting place.  I was really looking forward to going.  Then, I began learning about the schools in the Philippines, and how many students dropped out early, due mostly to financial problems.  I love teaching, and I really enjoy teaching students who want to learn.  It's a win-win situation. From what I was reading, most of the drop-outs would rather be learning.  They knew that a good education was key to a more stable future.  These were exactly the type of students I wanted to work with.

When I arrived in the Philippines, I was touched by several things.  First, I thought I had an understanding of the living conditions for the typical Filipino family.  I was wrong.  I had no idea.  My heart went out to these people. I don't have a big, fancy house.  By most American standards, my house is substandard.  Even so, I felt guilty for having so much when these people had so little.  
A typical Filipino home

Then I had the chance to meet some students.  I was invited into their classroom.  I was invited into their homes.  I prayed with them at their church.  And I met some who were not going to be in school next year.  I was immediately convicted.  Students in American schools have no idea how fortunate they are. It makes me angry.  I have always known that most American students were unappreciative of the opportunities they had in the public schools.  Anyway, after meeting with the students, I went out and bought some school supplies.  It wasn't much  . . . some pencils and pens, some paper, some erasers . . . things most American students take for granted.

Having spent several years in the classroom myself, I also saw the needs of the teacher who's classroom I visited.  I picked up some supplies for her too -- a globe, some hypo-allergenic chalk, a new blackboard eraser, some paper . . . you would have thought I had given her the most priceless items known to man.

By this time, I realized that I had more then just a passing interest in the well being of these people.  I had a genuine passion for them.  In particular, I had a real concern for the students.  They were good kids. They deserved a chance.

Presenting a globe to Ms. Maribel
The story of Dave Ramsey's EntreLeadership program can be summarized into three basic principles:  he had a passion, he practiced it, then he planned it.  As I read Jon's account of Dave's experience, I quickly realized that I too had a passion, and that, without really thinking about it, I had practiced it.  My next step is to put a plan together that will allow me to work with my passion on a regular basis.

I have EntreLeadership sitting on my bedside table, waiting for me to finish Quitter.  I've never been one to jump onto someone's "program" just because it sounded good; however, I've been familiar with Dave Ramsey for several years now, and I recognize the value of his teachings.  At this point, anything that can help me to plan how I can work with these wonderful kids in the Philippines will be worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment