The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

All My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready To Go . . .

Well it's almost Peter, Paul and Mary time.  Actually, as I sit here writing this quick note, I am far from packed although I do have everything I need . . .  just have to put it in the bag.  The bag was a special purchase from our local REI store.  I don't usually go over-the-top for things like luggage, but I have some special items that need to fit in a bag and be protected from damage . . . namely my custom-made three foot levels.  Anyone who has ever shopped for construction levels will know that they come in 2 foot and 4 foot lengths . . . not 3.  But a 2-footer is a little short for my needs and a bag that would accommodate a 4 footer will be too big for airline checked baggage (without having to pay a huge fee for oversize luggage).  So I found a couple of 4-foot levels made of plastic and then chopped 6 inches off each of their ends, thus making 3-foot levels.  Actually, to get the levels to fit in the bag, I had to knock another inch off each end, so they're just a little shy of 3 feet long . . . but still give a more accurate reading then a 2 footer.  Anyway, now all I need to do is throw everything in the bag and try to keep it under 50 pounds.

I verified my flights last night -- I will be at the airport at 4:00 am Sunday morning.  Total travel time to the Philippines will be somewhere near 27 hours, including layovers.  We will "crash" in a hotel when we arrive in Cebu, then catch the 8:30 morning "fast cat" ferry over to Cebu -- cost of the boat trip will be 200 Php (Philippine pesos), which is about $4.65.  Then the long van ride up into the mountains.

Well, I said a few days ago that I didn't have anything else to add before I leave . . . I added a couple more entries but this time I think it's the last entry until I'm on the way.  If I have a wi-fi connection in Seoul I might make a few comments about the trip to that point. Until then - pag-ayo-ayo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment