The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Keeping The Faith

One of the challenges I've faced with my projects in the Philippines is to not give up . . . to "keep the faith".  It's easy for me to be excited about what I'm involved in there, but unfortunately, not everyone else shares my enthusiasm - even though I think they should!  I understand that not everyone shares the same passions in life.  I can't help it if the Lord has put the Philippines on my heart.  That there is good news coming from my friends in Bohol and other places in the Philippines is encouraging.  That I am starting to sense there are some opportunities for receiving assistance with my projects is incredibly exciting.

My dear friend Novelinda from the Chocolate Hills Christian Church in Carmen, Bohol, just announced that they have 85 children signed up for their Vacation Bible School program this coming week.  The school schedule in the Philippines is a few months ahead of ours in the US, so they are already several weeks into their summer break.  I was pleased to hear that they had received some funding for the VBS materials they had needed, and I was able to scratch together some money to send to them for providing meals for the children.  This is a real opportunity for the church in Carmen to reach out to the community and to witness to them about God's plan of salvation.  Nove promised many photos, which I will share as soon as they are made available!

Standing on the site of a new church building in Bohol
My book drive for the Icthus Christian Academy has gotten off to a slower start than I hoped for . . . but I had a very positive conversation with my pastor last week and he indicated that he thinks he can help mobilize the effort.  I will be patient for that.

I wanted to share a photo with you.  The purpose for the picture is to show the location of where the next World Mission Builder's project on Bohol will take place.  For the moment, it is an empty field, with coconut and banana growing along its edges.  The other thing it shows (more for me than anything else) is how big I am compared to the typical Filipino . . . and also how much weight I need to lose!  Oh well . . . that too will happen in due time.  The two women standing with me are mother and daughter, and both are members of this very rural church outside of Ubay, Bohol.  When we arrived at the location, the daughter was playing her guitar, practicing songs for the coming week's worship service.  They are pleased that the church will be located right next to their home.

So this is how things stand for the moment.  I've been asked several times by my Filipino friends if I will be returning there soon.  My answer . . . I just don't know.  I want to . . . but the doors need to open.  In fact, there are a very large number of doors that need to open before I can go back.  And once again, I'm faced with "keeping the faith".  Pastor Tom's message was encouraging today -- he has started a new series entitle "We can do this!"   Sounds like some of my prayers are being answered already.  Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment