The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Busy But Happy

This has been a hectic week, but a good week.  I have finished with the orientation process for my new employment, and I will be working at several locations over the next few weeks for some hands-on training.  While none of this does anything towards getting me back to the Philippines, it does take care of my own family's needs . . . which is important unto itself.

The good news is that I've received some donations towards funding school supplies for the church in Sierra Bullones, I have made a personal donation to the church in Panaytayon, and I have some friends who are trying to get together some funds to support a vacation Bible school at the church in Carmen.  While there is certainly a lot more fund raising that needs to happen, all of these are a good start towards the goals of increasing school attendance and completion, and reducing the likelihood of continuing poverty for the children of the churches involved.

I took an opportunity in the midst of my final day of orientation to talk about the needs there in the Philippines -- a couple of my coworkers are also Christians, so that makes for a receptive audience.  I don't know what might come from it, but I do hope I have additional chances to speak with some of these people and maybe . . . maybe . . . generate some additional support for Filipino school children.

I'm also looking forward to seeing some photos of Easter Sunday celebrations at the churches there on Bohol, as well as other locations throughout the Philippines.  One thing that does happen in the Philippines which I am not so excited about are the extreme re-enactments of the crucifixion story . . . including people actually being nailed to a cross.  While our Lord's death on the cross, and his dying for our sins, is important, His resurrection is of the greatest significance.  I would rather see a some empty tombs symbolizing his raising from the grave then seeing real people suffering with nails through their hands and feet.  Now I doubt that I will see anything like that from our Christian churches there in the Philippines.  I am just hoping to see some wonderful celebrations and perhaps a few more decisions for Christ, followed by some baptisms and joyous singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment