The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Friday, March 16, 2012

One Reason To Go Back To The Philippines - Seaweed!

Yes . . . this is seaweed
I know this may sound strange to my American readers, but one of the foods I enjoyed most when in the Philippines was seaweed.  I don't know what kind of seaweed it is, but it is absolutely amazing.  It looks rather strange when compared to any other American dishes I can think of, but it really is a tasty dish.  I borrowed a couple of photos from the Facebook album of Rachel C. from Icthus Christian Academy, which is where I first tasted this delightful  "salad".

Preparing seaweed in a simple Filipino kitchen
The interesting thing about this particular seaweed . . . it can also be used to make a "plastic" like product that is used to make sandals (Filipino slippers/shoes).  Now I know what you're thinking.  How can something that is used as a source for plastic be edible?  I don't know.  But I've seen the shoes that Pastor Jul wears and they seem very sturdy . . . and inexpensive.  And I've eaten the seaweed at least three times, and its de-lish (a phrase used by a different Rachel).

This is one of those cultural things that I think many Filipinos might take for granted . . . it's just something they have always had and enjoyed.  And of course, it's relatively easy to harvest.  I don't know the recipe for preparing it, but I think it's just heated to a boil . . . kinda like pasta?  It's texture makes me think that it could have been pickled, but I don't think that's really the case. I will have to get Rachel to send me the recipe.  I will post it here once I have it.

Anyway . . . just one of many "culture" articles to come.  Hope you enjoy.

1 comment: