The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Communities That Care

I'm not sure about the title of this article - maybe it should read "Communities Who Care" . . . the reality is that communities are not things, they are people.  I had a wonderful day yesterday, talking with some people in the community here who are excited to do what they can to help the children in the Philippines.

In particular, I'd like to tell you about Phyllis and Marc, owners of the Idalia Road Marketplace.  The "market" is a small but growing group of wonderful, creative and caring people who make and sell a variety of quality products.  One of the desires of the market is to be supportive of people within the community, as well as throughout the world.  I spent many of my Saturdays last summer there at the market, selling some of the things I make in my wood shop -- board games, small scale looms, drop spindles and so on.  Anyway, I also play around with screen printing, and offered to make some canvas bags with the Idalia Road Market logo.  I met with Phyllis yesterday to discuss the project -- bag style, colors, sizes and such.

Marc and Phyllis of Idalia Road Marketplace
During our discussion, I told her about my experiences in the Philippines and my desire to help the school children with supplies and books for the Icthus Christian Academy library.  She immediately volunteered to allow me to have a collection point there at the market for books, supplies and donations.  She said that the market is truly about community . . . not only the local community, but the global community.  She was even more pleased to be involved since it was some one from the local area (me) who was involved.   I have to admit, I am very excited about the prospect of having multiple collection points within the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho  communities.  All I need to do is create a display for each collection point, with pictures and some explanations.

So what started out as an opportunity for me to sell a couple hundred market bags turned into a wonderful opportunity to continue my efforts to support the children of Bohol with educational supplies and books.   I am so very grateful for the giving nature of people here in the Albuquerque area.

No comments:

Post a Comment