The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How Tough Are You (Part 2)

Gathering firewood and some coconuts

I mentioned a few articles ago about how tough and resilient the Filipino people are.  The recent typhoon which blew through the central Visayas region (which is where I as at) has wrecked havoc for many people. Homes are destroyed, possessions washed out to sea, lives lost, families separated and neighbors missing.  These aren't in any particular order -- I suppose loss of life should be the most significant, but frankly, all of these are quite catastrophic and probably deserve nearly equal emphasis.  This same region was hit by a typhoon around Christmas time last year.  Regardless of these tragedies, the Filipino people seem to be able to bounce back.  It makes me ask again, just how tough are we?

I was visiting one of the churches in Ubay - there are actually seven churches in that community, but I have only visited three so far.  Anyway, as we were leaving I saw a woman and a young boy coming out of the jungle.  The woman was carrying a large bundle of sticks on her head and the boy was carrying a branch and  a couple of coconuts.  This is something they do three or four times each week. I'm not sure I could carry the bundle of sticks.  I don't think I'm tough enough.

Pastor Jul, Scott and Buena
I paid a visit to Faith Christian Church in the Tubigon barangy of Panatayon . Home to a significant squatter settlement, I am always amazed at how much they do and with so little.  One of my favorite people that I've met there is Buenaventurada -- or Buena, for short.  She was struck down with polio when a very young child.  Her legs are severely impacted by the disease and so she's confined to a wheelchair.  No one was willing to take her to school until she was much older.  She finally graduated from high school last year . . . at the age of 26.  How many of us would stick it out?  I don't think most of us are tough enough.

Every time I think about these people, I wonder what is it about them that makes them so tough.  It makes me evaluate my own life, to scrutinize my own values -- and to complain a lot less and to work a lot harder.  And so I ask the question: How tough are you?




No comments:

Post a Comment