The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Got Books?

The book case!
When I visited the Icthus Christian Academy in February of this year, I learned that one of the needs the school has is for a library.  I talked with the administrator there and learned that there was a plan for an actual library space, but the availability of books was severely limited.  So upon my return to the States I set out on a  mission to gather books and ship them to Bohol.

A lot has happened since then, but even more needs to happen before the library project is on track.  I've gathered books from people at church, from my own meager selection, from friends and family.  I was allowed to set up a table a the Idalia Road Marketplace in Rio Rancho for a few weeks to gather more books from the general public.  The response has been very positive.  Since beginning this project in June, I  have been able to send two Balikbayan boxes of books to Bohol.  A third box is filled and ready for shipment.  It takes a while for these boxes to make it half way around the world.  The first box arrived last month, and the second box should arrive some time in November.  I'm looking forward to being here when the second box arrives -- I think it will be rather fun to see the box leave my home and then to be in Bohol when it arrives!
The library has a very nice space - just needs books
The library space has also been taking shape.  The school also has hired a librarian to maintain the library and help students who are using it.  The only real problem at this point is the lack of bookshelves for the books to be put on.  The book case they have (the only one they have) was made for them by a local carpenter -- that's about the only way to get something like that made.  There is no "furniture row" to visit and select from a wide range of options -- it just isn't available.  If I heard the price correctly, the book case they have (see picture) cost them P5,000 which is about $125 USD.  I will verify the price later tonight at dinner, but if this is an accurate price, there is no reason not to be able to get a second or third book case added to the library.    If anyone is interested in providing some shelves to put library books on, just send me  an email, contact my family, give me a call (Zella can give you my number).

Students using the library.
Well I'm off to Tagbilaran in the morning, riding the E-Van (express van) from Ubay.  I need to get an extension on my visa so that I don't run into immigration problems when I leave in early December.  After that, I will travel to Tubigon to visit pastor Jul Castellano and his church there (First Christian Church of Albuquerque sent money for school supplies here).  I currently plan to return to Ubay on Sunnday, November 18, if the everything goes as planned at the immigration office.  I can return to Tagbilaran on Monday if need be, but at this point I can't see where there will be any problem.

That's all for now - my next note should be from Tagbilaran City.  Pag ayo-ayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment