The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Little Of This, A Little Of That

Today was the first full day in the "office".  I met with the teachers this morning for a while to discuss why I was at the school and what they can expect from  me.  I will have my first assignment for them on Friday morning -- a combination of lessons for them, some related to school and some more personal.  I've been asked to conduct a spiritual gifts class for the teachers as one of the staff development activities, so I have prepared some materials for them to take home over the weekend.  The other project is a multiple intelligences test which helps to identify how people learn.  It's an activity for their students to do, but I want the teachers to complete the questions as well so that they have a better understanding of the assignment.  Nothing difficult, but a good place to start.

Love, victorious after wrestling her first car tire!
This morning at breakfast a comment was made about Nemesio's vehicle . . . apparently one of the tires had something protruding out of the tread -- never a good sign.  While they were talking, Nemesio's youngest daughter said she had never changed a tire before and would like to try it.  So sometime in the middle of the morning, Love changed from her office attire (she's both office manager and book keeper) to some work clothes and proceeded to get a lesson in changing a tire.  She was happy to have had the experience, but said she would rather not change careers and start working at the local tire repair shop.  

It rained last night -- all night -- and this morning as well.  I was grateful that I had brought an umbrella from home, as I would have been drenched on my short walk to the school.  It's only a block or so between the hotel and the school, but torrential rain only needs to have you exposed for less than a minute to get you thoroughly soaked!  As I was walking through rain, I thought about how people in New Mexico would be so happy to have a rain like we were having -- what I've always referred to as an "all-day-soaker".  Of course, with the rain came 100 percent humidity.  I sat in front of the fan in my office and tried to dry out while working at my computer . . . but I'm still wet and probably will be for the rest of the day.  I have laundry being done today, so I will have dry clothes to wear this evening.

The kids here are usually in good spirits and quick to wave or smile as thy pass by my "office". They peak through the window slats and either say "hi" or just giggle and run down the hall.  Yesterday was their casual day, so they all were wearing their P.E. uniforms.  I have some video of their morning ceremony and will post some here when I get better at editing the footage.  


I will go visit one of the other churches this afternoon.  When I was there in February, they had just a tree in the middle of a field where they usually held services.  World Mission Builders was there in October and built a permanent structure for them, similar to the one I helped build in Sierra Bullones. 

Well that's all for  now.  I expect the next couple of weeks here will be filled with the more mundane activities of my project, but I will try to find some interesting bits of information to pass on, as well as the much promised video clips.  Until tomorrow, or whenever. . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment