The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Soon and Very Soon!

Counting down the days until I leave for the Philippines.  The biggest obstacles I am facing involve finances.  I really need to have enough support to buy around 20 Bibles to give to families at the Sierra Bullones church.  That's around $60 usd.  I would also like to provide Bibles for the new church work in Camiguin, Mindinao -- another 10 Bibles would be sufficient ($30 usd).  The rest of the financial needs are for in country travel expenses.  I'm not sure how I'm taking care of finances at home, but I'm trying real hard to do that myself and not ask for personal support -- if I can help it.  I know the traditional missionary model would approve of that, but. . .  I'm not a traditional missionary.

My Hanh, a former student of mine
No, I'm something different.  Paul was a tent-making missionary, but  he was still living and working among he people he served -- although he did travel around a lot.  But . . . I'm not really serving anyone here in the US -- well,  maybe indirectly, by being some sort of model (that's a scary thought).  And if the day comes, which I hope it does and does soon, where I will lead groups from local churches over to the Philippines, then perhaps in that fashion I will be serving the local community.  But if that actually does come to be, then at that point I will probably need to draw some sort of salary, as I will be too busy organizing and coordinating.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

On a vastly different note . . . one of my former Vietnamese students just got married.  I wish her and her new husband the best of luck.  It does make me feel a little older when I see that sort of thing happening, but I am happy for her and know she will be a wonderful wife.  So, congratulations to My Hanh . . . I pray that God will smile on you and that you will accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment