The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Monday, October 29, 2012

24 Hours

Well not much to add at this point.  In 24 hours I will be on a flight to San Francisco -- from there on to Hawaii and Guam and then Manila.  Most of my "stuff" is packed, although I haven't weighed my main suitcase to see if I am overweight or not.  Part of me just says "pay the extra" but I'm not sure if that's really wise.  I can cut back on a few clothing items - and maybe find some things to wear at the stores in Manila or CDO.  The only real problem with buying clothes there is finding something that fits my 6'3 200+ Amerikano frame --  most Filipinos are about a foot shorter and 60 pounds lighter.  They just don't have a need to sell clothing in size "giant -- extra-fat".

Bohol from the air
I have a few chores to do around the house today plus a bit of writing that I MUST get finished today.  Most of the day will be rather mundane activities -- a run to the county landfill, dropping off my absentee ballot for the presidential election, getting a watchband repaired ( just a new pin), and calling my credit card companies to let them know I will be travelling overseas and using my cards on occasion while in the Philippines.  I have a few toiletry items to pick up -- razors, deodorant, shaving cream -- that's about it. Pack it all, weigh it, make any adjustments and go from there.

Then there's the waiting.  I am sure I will find things to do, including last minute emails, little home projects or even organizing a few tools in the garage.  The biggest issue is . . .  do I go to bed tonight, or do I stay up all night in an effort to adjust my "clock" for the 14 hour time difference that I will soon be facing.  Depending on how things go during the day, I may take an extended nap in the late afternoon and then stay up late.  I will be leaving the house at around 4:00 am.  I know if I try going to bed early that I will just toss and turn.  Guess we will see what happens.  In the grand scheme of things, how I deal with it  is not all that important -- I will get there and deal with it on the other end.  Knowing me, I will be to "amped-up" to sleep anyway.

I guess that's it for now.  Maybe I will say a few words while in one of the airports along the way.  Certainly by Nov 1 (Manila time)  I will post something here to give my status and travel observations.  You never know when there will be an interesting tale to present.

Mabuhay


No comments:

Post a Comment