The Mission

I've been so touched by the people of the Philippines -- I will be traveling to the Philippines many times over the next several years, helping with special needs children, helping Christian schools with curriculum and staff development, and even getting some new schools started. Along the way I will be helping local churches by providing school supplies for the children, as well as Bibles and other needs of the church. Join me as I help spread the Good News of Jesus Christ while helping to educate many of the "throw-away" kids of Bohol and the Central Visayan islands of the Philippines.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why The Philippines

Why would I choose the Philippines?   I'm not sure I can answer that.  It just kinda worked out that way.  I made the decision that I needed to change the focus of my life and so I began searching for something truly meaningful.  I was familiar with World Mission Builders of Baxter Springs, Kansas, so I contacted the people there, asking what their next mission trip was.  The assignment  . . . construct a church building for a growing congregation in the province of Bohol, Philippines.  I accepted the challenge.

Now I am not a construction worker . . . I'm a special education teacher.  And I'm not the leader of the project, just a volunteer worker.  For some reason, I knew this was the right choice.  I did some research on cost and so on, as I knew my wife would be asking about it.  And I also knew my wife might be resistant to my seemingly sudden decision, so having done my homework was going to be essential.  I made my presentation to her . . . and her response wasn't the struggle I was envisioning . . . in fact, she said, "I think you should do this."  So here I am, preparing to go to the Philippines, half-way around the world.

This blog is about my preparations for going to the Philippines, my "adventures" while I am there, and the outcome of the trip after I return.  I can't promise to write every day, although I will surely try.  While in the Philippines, I probably won't be able to post every day, as I won't have regular internet access.  I will, however, post as often as I can.  And pictures, of course.

Please feel free to comment - I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas regarding my mission project.

No comments:

Post a Comment